Given that I have been adamantly opposed to all things avocado since I was old enough to be adamantly opposed to anything (i.e. out of the womb), the fact that the fanatical (um, borderline maniacal) buzz over avocado toast finally broke me is a surprising tribute to the power of the blogosphere. Accolades like this, this and this surely had much to do with swaying my initial opinion on the fruit and, as a result, helped me discover my new breakfast of choice (cue gasp).
My main qualm with avocado has always been the texture. Something about the creaminess in a solid form never sat right with me. Plus, the flavor always seemed bland. Even their amazing ratio of healthy fats, fibers and vitamins wasn't enough for me to put up with the mushy mouth sensation.
So, my key to making avocado toast not only palatable, but downright pleasurable is the right amount of mashing (70% mush, 30% chunks), lots of lemon juice and a slice of wheat bread that was perhaps toasted for 20 sends more than it technically needed to be.
Here is my "recipe" for avocado toast to delight the avocado-averse:
- Cut an avocado in half and remove the skin (which is easier to do than I imagined- I chisel out the perimeter with a knife then literally just peel the skin off in one piece).
- Put one half in a Ziploc bag and place in the fridge, you are gonna want it tomorrow.
- Slice other half super thin and put it into a deep bowl.
- Put one piece of whole wheat bread in the toaster on a high heat setting. I use this toaster (obsessed with it, BTW) on the dark toast/2 slice setting.
- Mash up the slices with a fork. In my opinion, pressing the fork against the sides of the bowl helps to speed the process.
- Sprinkle in a dash of salt, pepper and juice from half of a lemon or lime and stir.
- Spread it on top of toast (if your toaster is like mine, the ding should go off alerting you that toast is ready just as you are bored of stirring.)
- Top it off with a little bit of juice from the remaining half of the lemon, then squeeze the rest into a glass of water to wash it all down.
If you guys have unique spins on the basic version, which I am sure you do, please share! This newly converted avocado enthusiast is all ears...